Harmony Clean Flat Responsive WordPress Blog Theme

After-school with 4-H

1/07/2008 11:02:00 PM Lisa Bell Milde 0 Comments Category :

Last month I began volunteering with the 4-H of McCormick county. My friend Carrie Caldwell is the extension agent there, and is doing a spectacular job. She and I have been getting together for while now to run/walk. During this time we always have some interesting conversations; sometimes informative, sometimes funny, sometimes it's just a time share those ordinary happenings, but always interesting. A topic we've come upon more than once, and probably sparked by our activity, is health. We both enjoy learning about different aspects of health, whether it's nutrition, exercise, or whatever. So when she asked me to help with a 4-H after-school program dealing with fitness and nutrition, I thought "Sure, What fun!" I was right. We've done two meetings so far, and hope to be there every Monday possible to share with our friends at the ABC After-school Program in McCormick. I am very pleased that the kids are so enthusiastic about our time together. Last time we discussed exercise and why it's important. We even got our hearts pumping with a little aerobic dancing. Upon my arrival today, I was thrilled to hear the kids ask with big smiling faces if we were going to get to exercise again today. Today's lesson focused on nutrition, as we learned about the food pyramid. We were blown away at the sincere questions asked--wanting to soak in that new food knowledge, and we were equally elated when some foods mentioned were couscous, rack of lamb, pomegranates, and passion fruit (not typically part of a middle schoolers diet). Our friends seemed to enjoy the food pyramid relay, which is pictured below. I can't wait until next week. I'm sure another good time awaits.

RELATED POSTS

0 comments