Harmony Clean Flat Responsive WordPress Blog Theme

My last month.

11/23/2012 09:31:00 PM Lisa Bell Milde 0 Comments Category : ,

We've had a very crazy, crazy month.  This time last month I was gearing up for my first half-marathon.  That week Ada got a cold, I got and cold, and Jeff wasn't feeling great either.  Despite that I decided to run.  I ran it, I finished.  What should have been exciting was just a blip on the calendar.  Jeff was sick...really sick.  So the day after the race we ended up in the ER, and he was admitted for Diabetic Ketoacidosis.  Being sick and not eating or drinking led to a couple of days in the CCU.  We got home the night before Halloween.  Ada went trick or treating, had a great time.  Hopefully I will post some photos eventually.  Jeff still wasn't feeling great, but we didn't know what the recovery time would be.  A week and a half later he was still sick, sicker than he had been since he was released.  So November 9th we end up back in the ER.  This time it wasn't DKA, but extremely low blood pressure when he was standing.  When we went in it was 50/25.  One of the factors was dehydration.  After two bags of fluid, we had discharge papers, and the confirmation that after one more bag we would likely be able to go home....that was at 7pm that evening.  Well, after not much change Jeff was admitted at 2am.  The next couple of days things started to look up.  Then Sunday night he began to have stomach pains.  Blood pressure soon became the secondary issue.  After many tests, the doctors decided that something was obstructing his small intestines. They decided they wanted to see if it would work itself out.  Friday he got an NG tube.  He remained miserable the next several days.  They decided Tuesday surgery would be likely, and Wednesday Jeff underwent his fourth major intestinal surgery. That evening he was placed in ICU.  Yesterday he was moved to a regular room.  Today the NG tube came out.  So far he seems to be doing pretty well.  Jeff hasn't eaten in over a week, and is currently being fed IV.  He is hungry, which the doctor says is a good sign.  His pain level is decent.  Of course he did have major surgery, so the recovery won't be too speedy.  Except for Wednesday night when he was in ICU and I wasn't allowed, I've been here every night.  Tonight is two weeks.  I don't know when we'll be home.  My parents are here taking care of Ada.  Jeff's parents are great about making sure we have everything we need here.  Our Sunday School class is awesome offering their help and prayers, and the ladies even came to the hospital for our monthly ladies get together.  My Thanksgiving turkey came from the hospital cafeteria, which wasn't great, but I'm sure thankful that Jeff seems to be on the mend.  We miss home.  We desperately miss Ada.  I've gotten to see her when I run home every now and again to pick up a few things.  I hate I didn't get to decorate for Christmas this week.  Today has been the first day we weren't waiting on results, or tests, or procedures, or surgery, or a room change.  So today's been the first day I've gotten sort of bored here.  There's not a ton to do here.  I'm helping Jeff with his work.  I can't wait to edit Tiffany and Darrell's wedding that I photographed the week before this adventure began.  I'm anxious to do Christmas shopping (but not anywhere near Woodruff Rd).  I've finished pretty much all of Ada's doing the online thing, which quite frankly is my favorite way to do Christmas shopping.  Right now we are waiting....waiting for healing.  I want to thank everyone who has prayed for Jeff and our family through this ordeal, and ask that you continue to pray for him and us.  We are looking forward to having us all back together and some normalcy.  

RELATED POSTS

0 comments